Part 61 vs 141 Commercial Requirements

At Kingsky Flight Academy, we offer a comprehensive range of training programs for aspiring pilots. There are two types of training designated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA): Part 61 and Part 141. We offer both types of programs. Both offer the same quality of training, although Part 141 is more structured and suited for full-time students while Part 61 tends to be more flexible to accommodate, for example, people looking to fly as a hobby.
Below we’ll explain the specifics of each and provide information to help answer questions such as “How do I get a Part 61 pilot certificate?”

Do Airlines Prefer Part 61 or 141?

introduction to the use of simulator Under FAA rules, pilot schools can operate under either part. The same licensure requirements pertaining to age, and curriculum still apply, but training hours are different. You must also meet the same standards and demonstrate the same aeronautical knowledge when taking an FAA test. However, transferring from one type of flight school to another can be challenging. Students who transfer from a Part 61 to a Part 141 school can only bring 25% of their credits, or transfer 50% of their credits between Part 141 schools.1

What Is the Difference Between Part 61 and 141?

Each part is defined in the Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). The key differences between each include:
  • Structure: A Part 61 program has no fixed syllabus and can be adjusted to the student’s goals, while Part 141 flight schools generally operate under a rigorous schedule with structured courses.
  • Training Requirements: The FAA does not require a Part 61 school to demand students attend classroom instruction or follow a lesson plan. A Part 141 school must, and also it requires student proficiency to be measured via periodic stage checks.
  • Flight Hours: At least 35 flight hours are required to apply for a private pilot license under Part 141; Part 61 requires at least 40 hours. For a commercial pilot license, Part 141 requires a minimum of 190 hours and Part 61 at least 250 hours of flight time.
  • Time: The duration of a Part 141 program generally has a set time frame. Students typically start training as a group and must pass stage checks and course tests. At a Part 61 school, instruction can be scheduled around your availability and whether an instructor determines you’re ready for a checkride; training duration varies from one student to another.
  • Cost: While training costs depend on the school, its reputation, and location, as well as the condition of its aircraft, obtaining a commercial license via a Part 141 school is generally lower in cost. Part 61 programs may allow aircraft rental and instructor rates to be negotiated.

What Is the Difference Between Part 61 and Part 91?

White airplanes standing in a row Part 91 of the FARs contains a set of operating and flight rules that civil aircraft pilots must follow. These are the guidelines you must adhere to when flying. Part 61 deals with training and licensing.

How Do I Get a Part 61 Pilot Certificate?

The first step to getting your Part 61 certificate is to enroll in a training program. At Kingsky Flight Academy, we offer several options whether your goal is to obtain a private pilot certificate, instrument rating, or meet commercial pilot requirements. We also offer multi-engine add-on and certified flight instructor courses. To get started, sign up online or call 863-248-2543 today. Source:

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest