A private pilot certificate is like a driver’s license. It allows you to fly almost anywhere in the United States and even outside the United States when you comply with regulations of the foreign country where the aircraft is operated. You can carry any number of passengers, and you can share certain operating expenses with them.

There are two ways to earn the right to take flight. You can obtain your private pilot license under Part 61 or Part 141. Both programs meet the FAA requirements; however, Part 61 Flight training offers greater flexibility for students who would otherwise need to commit to the more stringent structure of a Part 141 course. At Kingsky Flight Academy, we offer both programs.

Private Pilot - Part 61:
Cessna C-150

The Cessna 150 is a two-seat tricycle gear general aviation airplane that was designed for flight training, touring and personal use. It is the fifth most produced civilian plane ever, with 23,839 aircraft produced.
$ 8,460
  • 25 Hrs Dual Flight Time --- $4,475.00
  • 15 Hrs Solo Flight Time --- $1,710.00
  • 35 Hrs Ground Training --- $2,275.00
  • Engine: Continental 0-200A
  • Horsepower: 100HP
  • Cruise Speed: 95 MIAS
  • *195 lbs Maximum Weight per Pilot

Private Pilot - Part 61:
Cessna C-172

The Cessna 172 Skyhawk is an American four-seat, single-engine, high wing, fixed- wing aircraft made by the Cessna Aircraft Company. First flown in 1955, more 172s have been built than any other aircraft.
$ 10,260
  • 25 Hrs Dual Flight Time --- $5,600.00
  • 15 Hrs Solo Flight Time --- $2,385.00
  • 35 Hrs Ground Training --- $2,275.00
  • Engine: Continental 0-320 D2J
  • Horesepower: 160HP
  • Cruise Speed: 140 MIAS

Private Pilot - Part 61:
Piper PA-28

The Piper PA-28 Cherokee is a family of light aircraft built by Piper Aircraft and designed for flight training, air taxi and personal use. The PA-28 family of aircraft comprises all-metal, unpressurized, single- engine, piston-powered airplanes with low-mounted wings and tricycle landing gear.
$ 9,860
  • 25 Hrs Dual Flight Time --- $5,350.00
  • 15 Hrs Solo Flight Time --- $2,235.00
  • 35 Hrs Ground Training --- $2,275.00
  • Engine: Continental O-320
  • Horesepower: 160HP
  • Cruise Speed: 110 MIAS

Private Pilot Part 61 Requirements

If you’ve been researching how to get your pilot license, you’ve probably seen flight schools categorized as either Part 61 or Part 141. While Part 61 schools allow students slightly more flexibility in their education than Part 141, the requirements are slightly different.

Regardless of which part you choose, however, all student pilots are subject to the same basic eligibility requirements: Apart from being at least 17 years old, all private pilot candidates must hold a U.S. student pilot, sport pilot, or recreational pilot certificate throughout their training. Both Part 61 and Part 141 also require students to complete a minimum number of flight hours and pass a practical test for their chosen aircraft.

Part 61 differs from Part 141 in two ways: minimum flight time and the student’s choice of flight school and flying instructor. Part 61 requires five more hours of flight time than Part 141, resulting in a total 40 hours of flight time instead of the traditional 35. Like with Part 141, Part 61 flight times are divided into sections including 20 hours of instructed flying, 10 hours of solo flying, and other minimum criteria.

Many students prefer Part 61 training since it allows them to choose their own flight school and flying instructor. Where Part 141 schools follow a structured training curriculum led with a set instructor, Part 61 allows students to tailor their curriculum to their individual needs and schedules. Part 61 students can also interview different flight instructors to find a better match.

For more information on Part 61 requirements, check out the infographic below or call Kingsky Flight Academy at (863) 248-2543 to begin enrollment for your Part 61 training.

Private Pilot Part 61 Requirements Infographic


The Benefits of Our Private Pilot Part 61 Courses


There are several reasons to choose a Part 61 private pilot certificate, based on your needs, schedule, and finances. While Part 61 courses require more flight time hours, they offer the most flexibility to work one-on-one with an instructor at your own pace. When your training is complete, the Part 61 private pilot license requirements call for the same FAA Checkride to earn your wings.

Some reasons to consider our Part 61 private pilot course include:

  • Preserving the ability to re-order or rearrange lesson content to fit your schedule
  • Having the freedom to take as long as you need to complete your private pilot requirements under Part 61
  • Focusing on your needs and skills as an individual to tailor the training content

While Part 141 training is preferred by some employers, you may still move on to professional pilot training after meeting the FAA private pilot requirements of Part 61 flight training. One factor that might tip the scales to a Part 141 course is if you are eligible for VA reimbursement, as this is not available for Part 61 flight training.

* The costs described are ESTIMATED, since each student’s proficiency will be the determining factor in the exact number of hours to be performed before the Checkride. Kingsky does NOT guarantee that the student obtains the license with the minimum described. **If the student has ICAO 4 or higher, we can validate their Private Pilot license only with documentation at the cost of $ 250.00.


Professional Course Info Request Form

Kingsky logo